The restrictions in Port Fairy normally start on December 1st like Warrnambool, but Council has opted to delay the restrictions on East Beach and South Beach until December 24th and will run until April 22.
Signage will be erected to make the changes clear to beach users.
Moyne Shire Council mayor, Councilor Mick Wolfe says dogs on beaches are an issue for Council.
"We have had a number of submissions recently regarding dogs on beaches,"
"We have had to balance the benefits of exercising dogs on our beaches, with the need to protect wildlife, especially birds such as the hooded plover."
In an additional change, dogs will be required to be on leashes within 50 metres of areas marked as hooded plover nesting sites on the town’s beaches.
The restrictions apply between Powling Street and the South Beach access steps at South Beach, and between Connolly Street and Battery Lane on East Beach, while the new plover area rule will apply between Connolly Street in the town’s north, and Anna Catherine Drive to the west.
Restrictions at Killarney and Peterborough are unchanged.
In Warrnambool, dogs are permitted on a leash in the following areas:
- residential streets and in the CBD
- Blue Hole Reserve (Hopkins River Bridge to mouth, east side
- foreshore walking tracks, including foreshore promenade
- Russell's Creek track
There are also a number of off leash areas in Warrnambool but a lead must be carried and dogs must be under effective voice control and remain 30 metres beyond playgrounds, barbecue and picnic areas, sporting events or public meetings. These areas include:
- Albert Park (excluding sporting grounds)
- Beach area, Hopkins River (west side) to Flume
- Merri River areas of public open space in the vicinity of Manuka Drive, Membrey Way and Ponting Drive
- Bushfield Oval Reserve
- Harris Street Reserve
- Jubilee Park, Woodford
- Logans Beach
- Allansford Reserve
- Davidson Oval Reserve
- Kings Park
- Malwarrah Reserve, Woodford
- Russells Creek Reserve (Mortlake Road to Garden Street)
- Schrader Park, Allansford
- Tozer Road easement (to Wanstead Street)
- Victoria Park
- Payne Reserve
- Merrivale Reserve
- Jones Oval
- Scoborio Reserve
- St James Reserve
- Brierly Reserve
- Rotary Park
- Dennington Reserve
- Archibald Reserve
This information on leash/off leash areas taken from WCC website